Jenfinity

Hello, this is my little blog. I'm a tumbleweed in this large world, looking for direction, seeking answers, finding only more questions. My quests are not extraordinary or unusual, but I try to bring levity to them. I also understand there are no answers, just this moment. So dive in, live it up, love it up and laugh more than you do (louder than expected).

When all else fails, add glitter.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

This lush image is from a website selling organic green tea.

In the middle of drawing today I decided to have a tea break which turned into a mini beauty break.  I love tea and primarily drink green or black tea.  I also love beauty products derived from nature.  Tea has a double effect, inside & out.  Now for your cautionary note:  I've read varying opinions on green & black tea consumption.  It's a wellspring of antioxidants, but it's also loaded with tannins.  Tannin is an astringent, which is good in moderation internally.  Additionally, green tea contains uric acid (the culprit behind gout).  It is likely tannins should be consumed in moderation, while uric acid intake should absolutely be limited.  So be thoughtful about your consumption.  


There is something to the process of making a cup of tea that slows down this modern world.  I find a sort of peace in the ritual.  Chado, sado or chanoyu are a prime examples of ceremony raised up to a near godly act.  These rituals are meticulously and painfully beautiful if you've ever studied it or participated in Japanese tea ceremony.  I have only witnessed chado and find it to be near miraculous.  My little tea break is nothing like these well defined rituals.  Breaking completely with all tradition, I steeped a bag (!) of green tea in almost boiling water.  I drank it while it was still hot, breathing deeply of its green earthiness.  Enter calmness.



Loose green tea, image from a website of tea history and accouterments.

But then I do something else.  After drinking, I let the tea bag cool and apply it to my skin as an astringent.  Tea is extremely good for your exterior.  There are claims that it helps prevent sun damage (I'm a doubter), but the fresh antioxidants soak right into the dermis.  This little trick appeals to my frugal side.  I'm double using the tea bag, my skin glows afterwards and I don't even use a cotton ball.  It's the epitome of upcycling! Cooled teabag applied to face and neck, that's it.  I swear, I instantly look like I've been on vacation or slept for the entire weekend.  Possibly, in the right light, I may even look 5 years younger.  As the tea dries, my skin feels firmer and I really do glow.


According to research at Cornell University, the astringents in tea may alter your taste.  Article here.


It's my little secret that I'm sharing with you.  Drink up!  Here's to your health, wealth and happiness.  Now, I'm back to my graphite and paper.  Ideas are swarming me.

xo,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment